Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

AB1
Casual Contributor

Poor hygiene

My 31 year old son who has had schizophrenia since he was 19 has started showing signs of deteriorating hygiene. 
I’ve tried different approaches but nothing is helping. Any advice would be appreciated 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Poor hygiene

I'm. Not suggesting this for yourself.. But my love is schizophrenic and I often get him to shower with me as a way to help.. I enjoy showers as a way to help my own self.. 

Or I turn the shower on after I've encouraged him to shower.. And tell hi. It's ready when he is 

Hi @AB1 ,

Sorry to hear you have noticed a deterioration of your son's hygiene. 

Do you think he is aware of it? 

I don’t think he realises how bad it is and he gets angry when I try to mention it 

Does he have support workers or anything? Sometimes it's hard to hear the truth from parents - they need to be told by other people @AB1 

I remember a colleague of mine who hated washing her hair. Not matter how many times her parents told her to, she'd wash her hair only if she really had to.

Then one day, someone commented on how oily her hair was. Since then, she washes her hair EVERY DAY.....

When he has support workers he’d make a greater effort but he eventually pushes everyone away. He needs a reason I suppose 

Sorry to hear that @AB1 

It must be really difficult. I have no idea how to persuade your son to take better care of himself. Like you say, he seems to need a reason. I did find this article quite interesting. Poor hygiene being a symptom of mental illness is something I'd never thought about much. I'm wondering if the tips the writer offers (such as if showering is too much, then maybe a wipe down will be do-able) could help your son? 

https://www.nami.org/Blogs/NAMI-Blog/February-2023/Hygiene-Indifference-The-Symptom-We-Don-t-Talk-Ab... 

Hanami

Thank you I’ll read it 🙏

Thank you for that 🙏

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance